The Kiskadee is a bird native to Guyana and often referred to in Edgar Mittelholzer's brilliant novel, The Life and Death of Sylvia (1953). The bird is so named because its cry seemed by French colonists to be enquiring: "Qu’ est ce qu’il dit?". So what did he say? This blog is about two key topics: EDGAR MITTELHOLZER (his life and his works) and ME (my encounter with Mittelholzer and tales of life in Guyana).

Monday 29 September 2014

10 Never Minds


It's strange how a change in environment affects one's vocabulary. Rod has pointed out that I have taken to saying 'never mind'...incessantly.
1. 'Ooooh Lordy! There is a spider the span of a tea cup on my bookshelf! [slight pause] Never mind.
2. OMG! There's a bat in the loo! Never mind.
3. There are hundreds of little ants in the jam. [sigh] Never mind.
4. There is a fish in the washing up bowl! Wtf! Never mind.
5. I'm being torn to shreds. But never mind.
6. My clothes are all knackered. The cupboards are mouldy. Never mind.
7. Someone has nicked my flask but hey ho....[fill in the gaps].
8. Frigging fire ants biting my feet...[grrrr] never mind.
9. The cockroaches have poo'd all over my books. Never mind.
10. My heels, hard as goat's hoof. But never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment