The Kiskadee is a bird native to Guyana and often referred to in Edgar Mittelholzer's brilliant novel, The Life and Death of Sylvia (1953). The bird is so named because its cry seemed by French colonists to be enquiring: "Qu’ est ce qu’il dit?". So what did he say? This blog is about two key topics: EDGAR MITTELHOLZER (his life and his works) and ME (my encounter with Mittelholzer and tales of life in Guyana).

Saturday 23 August 2014

Pomeroon Chips: Life on the River

Life on the river. Not unlike an ice-cream van, boat-shops blow their horns as they pass by the estate touting for business. So this is all new to me...and fun. A couple of weeks ago I rushed out onto the stelling to find out what Mr Trim had to sell. "No scale fish" he announced in the local creole. "Oooh fish. Yum! And it's de-scaled. I'll have 3 please." "Yuh sure Mistress? Is no scalefish." "Yes yes I sure - I prefer no scale fish". Transaction done I return to the house. 
Auntie June: "Wuz dah?"
Paul: "Waaaaa oh lawd, dah is an ungodly fish!"
Mardell [between shrieks of laughter]: "Nobody does eat dah. Dah is a bottom-feeder. Dey does eat all duh sh*t in duh river."
That evening Chips and Delia looked to heaven and barked thanks to God for their hearty meal of 'no scale' fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment