The Kiskadee is a bird native to Guyana and often referred to in Edgar Mittelholzer's brilliant novel, The Life and Death of Sylvia (1953). The bird is so named because its cry seemed by French colonists to be enquiring: "Qu’ est ce qu’il dit?". So what did he say? This blog is about two key topics: EDGAR MITTELHOLZER (his life and his works) and ME (my encounter with Mittelholzer and tales of life in Guyana).

Saturday 23 August 2014

Pomeroon Chips: Hello. Hello? Beeeeeep.

It ain't easy living in the Pomeroon. A phone conversation goes something like this: "Hello." "Hello?" "Hello?" Beeeeep. [followed by my offline expletives]. The push notifications on my ipad tantalisingly reveal the first line of my emails but won't give me access to the actual messages. Why? The internet reception is... [fill in the gaps with as many expletives as you like]. I can't do online bank transactions or send email attachments and I can only work on my laptop for as long as my battery power lasts - my apologies in particular to Jeremy Poynting who has been patiently waiting for my intro to 'In the Eye of the Storm'. If it wasn't for the overwhelming beauty of the Pomeroon, its wonderful people and the occasional bottle of Banks beer, I would definitely be on the first plane back to Blighty. Ok. Deep breath. Positive thoughts. Keep calm and Pomeroon on.

No comments:

Post a Comment